Manchester City vs Chelsea Preview and Prediction – Premier League – Sunday, September 21

thearcticblues4
The two main candidates to lift the Premier silverware at the end of the season will face each other this Sunday, when Manchester City welcome Chelsea to the Etihad Stadium. After disappointing results in their opening games of the Champions League, both sides will now have to turn their full attention to a game that could shed some light into which side really has what it takes to win the title race.

Tip: Get a £50 free bet from Betway here.

Chelsea’s all­time leading scorer and charismatic figure Frank Lampard might start for Manchester City against his former team. Manchester City must quickly put that frustrating 1­0 defeat against Bayern Munich on Wednesday behind their backs and focus on the task at hand, and it sure isn’t an easy one. It has been a rough start of the Premier League season for the Citizens, grabbing just one point from theprevious two games, leaving the defending champions fifth in the league table, five points behind Chelsea. A win in this game would be crucial for Manchester City’s ambitions and would prevent Chelsea from gaining an even bigger advantage. Sergio Aguero, who was on the bench for the most part of the game against Bayern Munich, will probably start this game alongside Edin Dzeko up front.

Jose Mourinho couldn’t have asked for a better start of the Premier League season for his team.Four wins in four games leave Chelsea all but alone at the top of the table, and the Portuguese mastermind seems to have found in Diego Costa, who has already scored 7 goals in four league games for Chelsea, the answer for the scoring problems his team had last season, and in Cesc Fabregas, who his spreading panic and fear amongst opposing midfielders and has already made six assists, the key to unlock those tight and difficult games. While a defeat wouldn’t put at risk Chelsea’s objectives for the season, Mourinho is aware of the fact that a win at the Etihad Stadium would put Manchester City in a very uncomfortable position.

The Blues have won at Manchester City more often than any other side in Premier League history (11 times). With a 40% chance of grabbing the three points, Manchester City are seen by the bookies as slight favorites to win this game, against a 32% probability of being Chelsea the side that comes out of this game with the victory and a 28% chance of both sides having to settle with a point each.

Last time these two sides met at the Etihad Stadium for the Premier League, and despite the fact that Manchester City had the ball for 65% of the time and produced 25 goal attempts, Chelsea came out as winners thanks to a Branislav Ivanovic first­half goal. A similar outcome this Sunday would put Jose Mourinho and his team 8 points clear of the defending champions. Manchester City need to quickly get back to the winning formula they had last season at home and that allowed the Citizens to win all but two games.

This has all the ingredients to be a highly entertaining game, with both sides looking to grab the precious three points. A draw would still leave these two teams separated by five points and Jose Mourinho and his team, at this early stage of the season, wouldn’t certainly mind that.

Our Best Betting Tips and Pick: Draw
Odds: 3.50
Bookie: bet365 (200€ bonus)